Monday, August 11, 2008

You're safe...

I'll never forget one of the first nights that A was with us. Our younger daughter was throwing a tantrum (as two-year olds can do at times) and I scooped her up to remove her from the family area and take her to her room. There she could thrash about and have her tantrum while everyone else was in relative quiet.

A asked my wife "what is he going to do to her?" Given her experiences it was a reasonable fear to have.

So here we are almost four years later, A has been in our home this entire time. She has had tantrums, time outs, and we have had to restrain her from time to time. We've never given her the same experience she had from the past (OK, I will admit there are times of yelling that I'm not proud of, and certainly don't help the cause). Through all of this we tell her our job is to keep her safe.

A's outlook on the world is one of doubt and fear, because of what she has experienced. It is hard for her to believe that she has someone who loves her and looks after her, to keep her safe. And there are a lot of times that she says she wants us to go away, she wants to go back to her old house which she has fond memories of...

It reminds me of the Israelites on their trek in the desert..."At least we had food in Egypt. Have you brought us out here to die?" This same group of people had a loving God that had rescued them from bondage and it was hard for them to see that God was taking care of them.

This same God provides us freedom from bondage to Sin, yet how many times do we want to go back to our old house, how many times do we forget that God is really taking care of us. NO matter how many times we see it happen and know it to be true.

No comments:

About Me

I refer to myself this way because I am a parent who has adopted children AND I am an adopted child of God. Maybe not the most clever, but it works for now.